When choosing a walkie-talkie, one of the decisive criteria of choice for professionals in construction, forestry, mining and petroleum or for outdoor activities is the waterproofness of the two-way radio. Outdoor use, exposure to shocks, it is in these situations with which they are confronted that the walkie-talkies can be subjected to projections of dust and sand, or to humidity or water.
In addition to making the appropriate choice on the length of range, the autonomy of the walkie-talkie or the frequencies of your device, you must know how to choose the resistance and impermeability of your two-way radio so as not to be disturbed by severe weather.
Here, in this article, some elements to guide you in your choice of waterproof two-way radio.
What is the IP degree of protection?
The degree of protection (IP) is an international standard that qualifies the resistance of a walkie-talkie to water or other liquid, dust, sand, etc. The first number corresponds to the level of protection of the device against solids (dust, sand, earth, etc.). The second number indicates the waterproof level of a walkie-talkie against liquids.
More specifically, here is the protection index scale for impact resistance, corresponding to the first number of the IP standard:
- 0: The walkie-talkie has no protection
- 1: Protection against solids over 50mm
- 2: Protection against solids over 12mm
- 3: Protection against solids greater than 2.5mm
- 4: Protection against solids over 1mm
- 5: Protection against dust deposits
- 6: The walkie-talkie is completely dustproof
Here is the IP protection rating against humidity and water:
- 0: The walkie-talkie has no protection
- 1: Protection against vertically falling drops
- 2: Protection against drops falling at an angle, up to 15 ° inclination
- 3: Protection against rain, up to 60 ° inclination
- 4: Protection against splashing water
- 5: Protection against water jets from a lance
- 6: Protection against very powerful jets of water
- 7: Protection against temporary immersion: up to 1m depth for 30min
- 8: Protection against prolonged immersion: more than 1m deep for 1 hour
More specifically, let's take the example of an IP68 certified walkie-talkie. This two-way radio will be dust-proof as well as prolonged immersion in water (sea, swimming pool, river), for an optimal outdoor use.
For which activities should you choose a waterproof walkie-talkie?
The walkie-talkie is used to exchange messages instantly by voice. It is therefore very useful for professional and occasional outdoor uses, where having a reliable communication system that is resistant to shocks and bad weather is essential.
Waterproof two-way radios for leisure activities
Here are some examples of the use of waterproof two-way radios:
- Mountain hikes, where people must be able to alert emergency services easily, in an environment where the telephone network is sometimes faulty.
- Dog sled or snowmobile trips, where different team members need to communicate easily with each other. Likewise, two-way radios make it possible to benefit from a communication channel with a first-aid station, where the traditional network does not allow it.
- Hunting: hunters use a walkie-talkie to optimize the positioning of each participant and of course to improve their safety.
- Water sports and fishing: A walkie talke can be useful in case fishermen or paddlers need to call for help.
In these situations, it is therefore advisable to opt for waterproof walkie-talkies, able to withstand water splashes, or even immersion.
Waterproof professional walkie-talkies
As a communication tool, it allows you to secure your outdoor activities. The walkie-talkie is also an essential means of communication for companies from a wide variety of sectors. The use of a water and shock resistant walkie-talkie is necessary in the following cases:
- Emergency and security services : high mountain rescuers and sea rescuers definitely need waterproof walkie-talkies.
- The construction sector: employees need to communicate on a site where the environment is sometimes too noisy for communication by telephone and where the telephone network is not always optimal. UHF (Ultra High Frequency) walkie-talkies are suitable for use in town and on construction sites.
- Coastguards or lifeguards at sea definitely need submersible, floating walkie-talkies, so they can be retrieved if they fall in water. VHF's walkie-talkies are better suited to open areas, providing reliable communication.
- Forestry, mining and petroleum industries: employees work in isolated places, where communication by telephone is often difficult and can be covered by the telephone network.
Rental of waterproof two-way radios at Accès Radio
The important thing to remember when considering renting a walkie-talkie is to choose a walkie-talkie that meets your waterproof and robustness needs. Having waterproof two-way radios is crucial for your effective team communication.
Whether for professional or occasional use, Accès Communication will provide you with good advice to help you get the best waterproof two-way radios you need. Our team of professionals is committed to informing our customers about the right type of Motorola waterproof two-way radio for them at a good value.